Dr. Matz, the gardener says:
- By now, you should have started some seedlings indoors.
- Harden those tender plants by setting them out a few hours each day for a week or so before planinting around Mother’s Day. This is called “hardening off” the plant.
- It looks like Spring is NOT early this year, so one pre-emergent lawn application around mid-April should be all we need for a good start to a green, weed free yard.
- For low-maintenance and drought resistant landscaping, use native Nebraska plants. Check out http://byf.unl.edu/annualperennial for help with plan selections.
- Container planting is a colorful way to garden when you have little or no yard. Just remember: Pillars are the tall plants in the middle of the pot, fillers are shorter plants that visually take up most of the pot’s space and spillers are plants that trail over the edges of the pot. Use these three elements to create an interesting arrangement!